Hero Generations is a unique game with several interesting game mechanics and features.
Limited Lifespan and Permadeath[edit | edit source]
Each move your hero makes = 1 year of their life. Each hero has a limited lifespan (from 50-125 years) that puts pressure on you to think carefully about how you spend the years you have left.
Generations, Mating, and Having Children[edit | edit source]
The world has towns that house mates for you to woo. Successfully finding a mate lets you have a child, and that child becomes the hero you control next in the same world. Choosing the right mate is key, as mates pass on traits (special abilities) that make your child more powerful and prepared.
6 Strategic Paths and Meaningful Choices[edit | edit source]
Heroes are judged by how famous they become in a single lifespan. Heroes grow and gain fame by completing quests and pursuing the following strategic paths:
- Strength: growing in size and strength let’s you battle the monsters in your path, and break down barriers to progress.
- Love: work to attract the mate of your dreams, and build an epic legacy of great heroes.
- Exploration: discover what is hidden underneath the clouds, and blaze trails to make traversing the world faster in the future.
- Wealth: collect gold so that you can create buildings in towns or buy items you can pass down to your children.
- Fame: gain fame directly by questing to return ancient artifacts, slaying procedurally generated boss monsters, and competing with other families for the throne.
- Building & Technology: craft amazing towns by building Barracks, Observatories, Museums, and Monuments that offer you helpful resources lasting across generations.
Building Tech Tree & Family Crafting[edit | edit source]
The 4 spaces next to towns allow you to construct special buildings that offer actions and useful resources. Buildings provide long term benefits and influence the culture of neighboring towns. Towns morph in response to combinations of buildings nearby, causing the mates in the town to take on unique traits! Examples of discoverable town types include the Ranch, Fortress, Ghost Town, Port City, and Dark Cathedral!
Expansive Overworld[edit | edit source]
Each world of Hero Generations is a 10x10 procedurally generated grid filled with towns, forests, ancient ruins, monsters, and more. In addition, there is an expansive overworld: a 3x3 grid of connected worlds. Secret paths at the borders lead to completely different world types. If we meet our stretch goals, we’ll add awesome new world sets that feature totally unique quests, enemies, terrain, and more!
Prophecies & World Events[edit | edit source]
Every 100 years, a major “world event” occurs. Volcanoes erupt; giant creatures emerge hell bent on destroying the world. It can also mean the arrival of helpful special characters, like Wandering Caravans and fast traveling airships. You’ll be challenged to grow and adapt to an ever-changing world around you.
Gorgeous Art Style[edit | edit source]
The finished game will feature the look and feel I always hoped for, developed by fellow Seattle artist Dominic Sodano. The visuals work to subtly reveal the emotional themes inherent in the game mechanics.
Simple Yet Deep[edit | edit source]
The game system has many elements, but the moment-to-moment gameplay simply involves moving your hero from one grid space to the next like a rogue-like. The result is meaningful strategic choices like a 4X Strategy game, but without the heavy micromanagement and calculation.
Meaning[edit | edit source]
The game system was built from the ground up to be an exploration of the themes of death, legacy, family, love,and more. The experience of playing the game I hope will be a surprising and thought-provoking experience, as well as fun. I'll be posting more details on the inspiration and design philosophy behind this in future backer updates.